With summer here in full blast, television is lighter but some summer shows are worth a look. ABC has premiered it’s next Shonda Rhimes (Grey’s Anatomy) drama called Still Star-Crossed. It hasn’t been received very well yet but we think you should think twice before skipping this Romeo and Juliet inspired drama. It was originally slated for a Sunday night spot but after the first three episodes aired, it has been moved to Saturday night. This is not great news, so if this is a show you enjoy or might enjoy, get watching. Here are eight reasons, we think you should make this your next summer drama to get through the months before our fall shows return.
- Shonda Rhimes has not steered us wrong yet as she has turned out multiple hits like Grey’s Anatomy, How to Get Away with Murder, Scandal and she was one of the brains behind Britney Spear’ teen drama Crossroads. Her involvement alone is reason enough that the slow burn beginning to this drama is going to be worth it in the long run.
- The storyline is captivating. This show takes place after Romeo and Juliet kill themselves and it deals with what Verona will do with an even more tense war going on between the Capulets and the Montague. Haven’t you Shakespeare fans always wanted a little more of that epic story?
- Anthony Head (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) plays Lord Capulet. Our favorite librarian is back and he is amazing as the angry Lord who wants to succeed and not tarnish his family name. If you watched the BBC’s Merlin, his character will remind you of his outstanding role as King Uther Pendragon. Where Anthony Head is, we should always go.
- The entire cast is doing an outstanding job playing these famed roles. When a show is this well acted, it’s hard to ignore.
- It beckons back to the time of campy soap operas. This show is filled with drama and every time you think things might be looking up for these characters, another tragedy strikes. For a long period of time, this is an annoying plot device but for a summer show, it is just right.
- There are multiple love stories crossing over each other. There is a forbidden love which you root for that can not be because of a necessary marriage but what no one knows is that another blooming love story elsewhere could solve everyone’s problems but we are sure there’s another piece we haven’t been given yet to put a kink in it.
- It streams on Hulu the next day. Is Saturday night the night you want to cancel plans in order to watch a TV show? Probably not but fear not, this show is on Hulu the next day and if you pay a little extra for your membership, it can be commercial free. Catch up on Sunday while you’re recovering from your Saturday night.
- There is more eye candy then you’ll know what to do with. If you liked McDreamy and McSteamy, then you’ll be more satisfied with what Shondaland has to offer.
Catch up on Hulu before the next episode airs on July 8th!