Senior Staff Writer
@ShaneAveryLast week, we saw the unfortunate elimination of Emily Piriz, and while I don't think she was the right one to go, it's only going to get harder as we inch closer towards the finale. Let's talk about tonight though, because with the Top 11 performing songs from the movies, it was bound to be an eventful show..... Right? After a VERY dramatic opening, courtesy of the suave Ryan Seacrest, we got our usual introductions and being reminded that making the Top 10 was a very big deal: They make the Top 10, and they make the summer tour!!
1. Sam Woolf - "Come Together" by The Beatles (Across the Universe)The adorable Sam Woolf took on the Beatles classic, and I have to commend him for finally showing some personality on stage. I do think it came off a tad bit awkward, but I was just happy to see him having so much fun. I think he's just a tad uncomfortable moving around, and just used to having his guitar. Still, an enjoyable performance!!
2. Jessica Meuse - "The Sound of Silence" by Simon & Garfunkel (The Graduate)Such an AMAZING song, but would Jessica do it justice? Last week, she had crazy pitch issues with Harry calling the entire performance very sharp. and I didn't find this week much better. I'm not going to say it was the band, but there was definitely a huge disconnect. She didn't look confident and I felt the performance suffered. Harry found it a good performance, while Keith told her to relish in the environment and don't feel the need to always belt. The softer side of her voice can work. PS: Gotta love how the judges completely threw the band under the bus!
3. CJ Harris - "Can't You See" by Marshall Tucker Band (Blow)Let me get right to the point: I was SOLD by the very first note. Absolutely SOLD. CJ has finally found the perfect style for his voice and this was beyond perfect. This was easily best of the night so far, and possibly best of the whole competition yet! Keith called it "killer" while Jennifer admitted to celebrating throughout the entire performance. Magic!!!!!
4. Dexter Roberts - "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd (Forrest Gump)Country boy Dexter brought his Southern flair out once again, and I believe that Dexter could be the real deal. He's so comfortable onstage, and delivers the vocals with such ease. I will agree with Keith that he needs to try and put his own spin on some songs, and stay away from the same vocals. No doubt in my mind he will be safe this week!!
5. Ben Briley - "Bennie & The Jets" by Elton John (27 Dresses)Um......I love Ben Briley. I think he is very talented, but this didn't work. The arrangement, the vocals, the.....Oh, just everything. Sorry Ben.
6. Majesty Rose - "Let It Go" by Adele Dazim er..... Idina Menzel (Frozen)That joke's over right? Moving on. Big song for such a pretty voice, and I REALLY wish she would have nailed it. When Majesty started the Oscar winning song, she had the note. She was doing a beautiful job with it, but then she attempted to go really big, and unfortunately it got away from her. I still love this girl, but Keith was right: She needed to approach the bigger notes with more caution, and not attack them.
7. Caleb Johnson - "Skyfall" by Adele (Skyfall)Second best performance of the night! (Next to CJ) Caleb really nailed another Oscar winning song, and he completely did Adele justice. I found Caleb's performance very real and he killed those vocals. It was so reserved when it started, which I really enjoyed because it was a different side to Caleb.
8. MK Nobilette - "To Make You Feel My Love" covered by Garth Brooks (Hope Floats)The judges were really praising MK and while I believe she hit some beautiful notes, there were some rough ones as well. For the most part, I enjoyed the passion in her voice but I did find it a tad lackluster. I think MK could go far in the competition, as long as she tries to figure out how to let loose on stage. I get this vibe that she doesn't know what to do when she's singing. Beautiful rendition (in parts) though.
9. Alex Preston - "Falling Slowly" (Once)PERFECT SONG CHOICE!!!! The second I heard Alex was doing this song, I was very excited. And he didn't let me down. At all. This became my favorite performance of the night, and Alex is ready to make an album. I would buy it. RIGHT NOW. Absolutely incredible performance.
10. Jena Irene - "Decode" by Paramore (Twilight)Damn, miss Diva really brought it with her vocals tonight!!! Jena exploded onstage with her Paramore performance and gave us some of the best vocals the entire night. When she hit the really big note, she didn't waver one bit. The power behind her voice is out of this world and Jennifer was right: She's got one of the best voices in the competition!!
11. Malaya Watson - "I Am Changing" (Dreamgirls)And ANOTHER!! Malaya's vocals were crazy good, and the song fit her perfectly. I'm already going to campaign for her and Jennifer Hudson to perform this together on the finale. Dear Idol execs: MAKE THIS HAPPEN. Shall I attempt at a bottom 3? Jessica Meuse Ben Briley MAYBE MK?? I don't know. It's too damn hard!!! What was your favorite performance??
Keep Up With PopWrapped On The Web!http://www.PopWrapped.com http://www.Twitter.com/PopWrapped http://www.SoundCloud.com/PopWrapped http://www.Popwrapped.Tumblr.com http://www.Facebook.com/PopWrapped http://www.Instagram.com/PopWrapped http://www.Pinterest.com/PopWrapped http://www.YouTube.com/PopWrapped