Senior Staff Writer
1. Alex Preston - "Sweater Weather" by The NeighborhoodInteresting song choice by America, and I'm not sure it did Alex any favors. It was by no means a bad performance, as his personality was shining through, but the vocal wasn't anything to rave about. Harry & Jennifer seemed to enjoy the song selection and felt he did a good job, but wanted him to push a tad more. Harry was actually more upbeat about it, saying he could hear the song on Alex's future record. I can't help but disagree.
2. Caleb Johnson - "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" by AerosmithUm... I don't even know what to say. There were some shining moments during that performance, but that was REALLY weak. I have to admit I was a tad shocked with the judge’s critiques, because they kept praising the performance. Harry, Keith, and Jennifer never once addressed how the song started and the rough patches but leave it to our resident rocker to handle it himself. After the judges spoke, Caleb admitted in his backstage package that he was pitchy near the start. I can't understand why the judges never spoke of it. Time for a trio performance!! Jena, Sam and Alex performed "Best Day of My Life by The American Authors and I have to admit it was kind of fun. Sam actually interacted with the crowd at the start, but I have to make note that Jena stole the number for me.
3. Jessica Meuse - "Human" by Christina PerriJessica came to PLAY!!!!!! This was, without a doubt, the best thing she has EVER done on this show. I absolutely loved the performance from start to finish. The vocals were on point, the emotion was there, and she completely sold it. I have to give her mad props for this, because I got goose bumps when she first started. KILLER!!! Sam Woof was up next, but got quite the surprise when Ariana Grande arrived for a quick hello. His cheeks going red was quite possibly the cutest thing EVER.
4. Sam Woolf - "Sing" by Ed SheeranPERSONALITY!!!! Sam was given a huge task of attacking a current single, and I really found he did a great job. It was a tad of a let down because of Ed's signature falsetto in the track, which Sam didn't attempt, but it still worked. Harry didn't feel it was his best, while Keith and Jennifer enjoyed it. Seems the panel is quite split tonight.
5. Jena Irene - "My Body" by Young the GiantGreat song choice and yet another stellar performance! Jena commanded the stage tonight and her vocals killed. I have to give her credit because she's probably the only one left in the competition that can truly get the crowd moving. She actually managed to get Keith Urban out of his seat for a standing ovation. The judges were actually on the same page for the first time as well. Time for Caleb and Jessica to duet on The Rolling Stones classic "Beast of Burden.” I really loved this and thankfully, Caleb was back in top form. No wavering on the vocals this time. I do hope Caleb's second choice is much better than his first. Time for round 2!
1. Alex Preston - "Say Something" by Great Big WorldBefore I get to Alex's critique, I have to give mad props to the backup singer (who they never acknowledged) because hers and Alex's harmonies were ridiculous. This was my favorite performance of the night (so far). Absolutely beautiful.
2. Jena Irene - "Valerie" by Amy WinehouseOkay, so I'm torn. Jena sounded great on the song, but the arrangement seemed slowed down, which I didn't enjoy. I really am conflicted because I felt it took away from the performance Jennifer actually echoed my sentiments. JLo is on my side!!
3. Sam Woolf - "How To Save a Life" by The FrayPerfect song choice!! Sam made it 2 for 2 tonight, with this performance and I thought he did a great job. I truly saw growth from each performance from Sam tonight and I'm really impressed with the direction he's taking.
4. Jessica Meuse - "Summertime Sadness" by Lana Del ReyNo. Just... No. I felt like Jessica was just trying to sing the song like Lana and came across as a bad karaoke performance. Maybe that's too harsh and/or a Simon Cowell kind of comment. I'm in somewhat shock that the judges loved this so much. I must have missed this completely... Or, I'm just a massive Lana fan and only want to hear the original. Which I am.
5. Caleb Johnson - "Still of The Night" by WhitesnakeYou know you've done something right when Keith Urban and Jennifer Lopez are on their feet not even half way through the song. We won't discuss Harry, because he never does. Caleb more than redeemed himself with his second performance because this was CRAZY GOOD!! Great way to close the show!!! Jam packed show ladies and gentlemen! What was YOUR favorite performance of the night? Least favorite? Someone's going home tomorrow night...... WHO WILL IT BE? Keep Up With PopWrapped On The Web!