Media Courtesy of Forbes.com
Staff Media Lead
season 13 premieres tomorrow and with that, one can’t help but take a walk down memory lane to see how the music industry has been impacted by Idol.
In recent years the popularity of Idol waned due to the loss of fan favorite judges Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul, and there was speculation that the onetime unstoppable singing competition would come to an end; hard to imagine considering the show launched the careers of music industry giants like Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson.
With a renewed hope in the another successful season for Idol, and crossed fingers for the discovery of yet another superstar, let’s take a look back at the alumni and how they stack up against each other according to Forbe’s list of Top Earning Idols for 2013
1. Carrie Underwood – 31 million (83 million over the past 5 years)
2. Kelly Clarkson – 7 million
3. Phillip Phillips/Adam Lambert – 5 million
5. Chris Daughtry – 4 million
6. Scotty McCreery – 3 million
7. Taylor Hicks – 2.5 million
8. Fantasia Barrino/Kellie Pickler – 1.5 million
10. Katharine McPhee – 1 million
Carrie Underwood saw the biggest increase, up 26 million from last year. The numbers speak for themselves and even non-winners like McPhee, Pickler and Lambert are forging their careers and proving Idol is still a force to be reckoned with.
Who will come out on top this season? Will they be another Carrie or Kelly, or another Lee who?
Tune in to find out PopWrappers!