The great first show of ESC2015 starts with last year’s winner, Conchita Wurst, introducing all of the competing countries today, and she finishes presenting them by singing the end of her winning song “Rise Like A Phoenix."
The hosts are Miriam, Alice, and Arabella, who are all great Austrian presenters. Alice kills it in all three languages, though!
Now, 16 countries performed their entries, but basically I have to admit that I was bored quite a lot. Many songs are ballads, but not really great ones. In addition, at least three performers are flat the whole song through, which kills my ears. Very disappointed at the show tonight!
However, my favorite performances are Belgium, Belarus (because look at his face), and my favorite performance of tonight: Denmark.
And these are the 10 first finalists and my thoughts on their performances:
1) Albania with “I’m Alive”: I was bored of this song and was disgusted by the missing intonation. But hey, congrats Albania!
2) Armenia with “Face The Shadow”: It is sung by people from many different countries, all with an Armenian background. And let me say, their voices were great! Congrats, Armenia!
3) Russia with “A Million Voices”: Yet another boring ballad, but still a nice song. Also, their drummer would perfectly fit Austria’s competing band. Congrats Russia!
4) Romania with “De la Capat”: The meaning is really nice and I appreciated the fact that they sang in Romanian and English, because it makes it more international. Congrats Romania!
5) Hungary with “Wars for Nothing”: The voice is AMAZING, but the choreography? What is this? Anyway, congrats Hungary!
6) Greece with “One Last Breath”: It is probably the most difficult song performed tonight, but – unfortunately – quite boring…and very similar to “Rise Like A Phoenix” at times! Congrats Greece!
7) Estonia with “Goodbye to Yesterday”: Well done, ORF, the camera work and lighting is on point in this performance! The song is good, but the lyrics puking material. Anyhowsies, congrats Estonia!
8) Georgia with “Warrior”: It is a cool song and her appearance freaks me out but also fascinates me. However, who is singing harmonies? Congrats Georgia (please don’t kill me)!
9) Serbia with “Beauty Never Lies”: I was expecting more, to be honest, because they are favorites. I loved the Les Misèrables flags, though! Congrats Fra—uh Serbia!
10) Belgium with “Rhythm Inside”: It reminds me of “Man In The Mirror” in the beginning and then evolves into some sort of Lorde song, but it is good! And the choreography slays! Congrats Belgium!
If you would like to watch the next semi final on Thursday (May 21), tune in on the live stream at 8 PM GMT! I will be stating my opinion, as well.