"Save the cheerleader, save the world." Even those who weren't fans of the original television series could likely place the iconic mantra to Tim Kring's Heroes. However, in Heroes Reborn, the cheerleader is dead.
A new promo for the show depicts Noah "HRG" (Horn-Rimmed Glasses) Bennet mourning the death of his daughter, Claire. It obviously took something big and powerful to kill Claire, whose ability made it possible to heal herself and be, seemingly, invincible. This introduces a lot of questions, ones that will hopefully be answered throughout the 13-episode series. Take a look at the all-new Heroes Reborn promo below.
Kring has also released a sample of the script for the show's first episode, which introduces a new character, a new company, and a new term for people with abilities. Quentin Frady is a conspiracist who's trying to uncover the truth about what killed Claire and the other protagonists from the original series, which he confronts HRG about. Frady claims to have worked for Renautas, a company that supposedly owned Primatech, and he's out to learn more about "evos" - the name given to people with abilities soon after Claire outed them at the very end of the original series.
There's certainly a lot of new and some old (Masi Oka and Greg Grunberg will be revising their original roles as Hiro Nakamura and Matt Parkman, respectively) to look forward to in the upcoming series. Heroes Reborn will be premiering on NBC September 24. Until then, you can take a look at the entire scene in the script sample below, courtesy of Entertainment Weekly.
REBORN EP#101 “Brave New World” WHITE 1.
28 EXT. HRG’S TRACT HOME - CONTINUOUS 28
HRG exits the house,(1) walks nonchalantly down the sidewalk. The SHADOWY FIGURE emerges from behind a tree to watch him.
Meet QUENTIN FRADY (30’s), unkkempt, twitchy, a MESSENGER BAG over his shoulder (2). He starts to follow HRG, only to stumble over a garbage BAG. when a looks up, HRG is nowhere to be seen. Shit. As he stands there–
First rule of talling someone…
(SLAMS Quentin against a tree)
…. know how to tail someone! Who are you, What do you want?
Answers. To what really happened on June 13th.(3)
What’s that got to do with me?
You’re Noah Bennet, right? You knew all of those people.
Who do you work for?
I worked at Renautas, but not for them.(4)
(knows the name)
And I know you worked for Primatech.
I sold paper.
Sure, along with bagging and tagging and keeping “powers” under wraps.
And you know about this, how?!
Beacuse Renautas secretly owned Primatech.
If HRG is aware of this, he hides it with a stern stare.
Primatech’s dead. It’s nothing but a hole in the ground.
Unless it’s not.
HRG’s eyes narrow at this.
That’s what I’m trying to tell you. I’ve found things I wasn’t supposed to find.
There’s something coming. Something huge heading our way. And Renautas is at the wheel. June 13th was the beginning. I just don’t know of what.
Quentin looks at HRG’s face. This is all Greek to him.
You must know something no one else does. There must be something–
Lemme guess, you’re a Truther.
That has nothing to do with it–come on man, you really think Mohinder Suresh was behaind that attack? (5)
Hello? He’s a patsy.(6)
I saw what everyone else saw. I know what everyone else knows.(7)
Quentin fumbles to open his messenger bag. pulls out a MANUSCRIPT. We see the title,”Escalating Evolution.”
This is his manuscript, never published. It’s all in here.
How did you find–?
These Evos, (8) these powers …he says their numbers are increasing. Escalating! But he doesn’t say why! Are they here to take over, like the media, like the goverment, keeps telling us? No.
(lower his voice)
I think they’re here to save us!
Then where are they? Look around.
You see people with powers around here? They’re gone. Hiding. Dead. If they were here to save us, trust me, I’d know.
With that, HRG takes Quentin by the scruff of the neck and DRAGS him away. Quentin stuggles, but is no match. Suddenly, SIRENS, and FLASHING RED LIGHTS. A POLICE CAR SQUEALS to a stop. Two COPS jump out.
Tim Kring's Script Notes
1. HRG, a.k.a. the Man With Horn-Rimmed Glasses (Jack Coleman), isn’t wearing his specs in his new life as a car salesman. “He no longer looks like a nefarious company man,” says Kring. “He’s gone very domestic, but the glasses will be reintroduced in an iconic way.”
2. Prior to this scene, Quentin Frady’s (Henry Zebrowski) evo sister was kidnapped. Quentin’s search for answers has led him to HRG. “He comes off like a wing nut, except we know he’s onto something.”
3. June 13 is the date of the summit explosion disaster that achieved 9/11-type infamy.
4. A play on the Latin word for “reborn,” Renautas is a company that figures into this season in a major way.
5. Scientist Mohinder Suresh (Sendhil Ramamurthy) has been blamed for the attack. “The show had always posited this idea there was an evolutionary reason for the people with powers; it’s a hopeful idea that we continue here,” says Kring.
6. Kring throws in words, like Truther and patsy, associated with U.S. conspiracy theories surrounding 9/11 and the JFK assassination. “There’s a lot of specific detail to this conspiracy, so it helps the audience to ride on top of archetypical terms in other conspiracy stories.”
7. A hint that HRG’s memory has been altered. “What’s great about HRG’s journey is he uncovers the show’s whole backstory along the way, so you don’t need to have watched [the original series]. In many ways, his character is the spine of the story.”
8. The show’s new term for people with powers. “You don’t need to label something if the public isn’t aware of it,” says Kring. “It’s only after Claire brought them out of the closet that there became this need to stratify.”