photo 2 options
  • Logo

    Photo Uploaded
  • Footer Logo

    Photo Uploaded
color 6 options


Your settings have been saved.

Current Events / Lifestyle PopWrapped | Current Events

Prince William Says It's Taken 'Almost 20 Years' To Come To Terms With Princess Diana's Death

Rain Varela | PopWrapped Author

Rain Varela

Staff Writer
05/31/2017 9:31 am
PopWrapped | Current Events
Prince William Says It's Taken 'Almost 20 Years' To Come To Terms With Princess Diana's Death | Prince William
Media Courtesy of Auspic/Commonwealth of Australia

In a candid interview with British GQ, Prince William has revealed that it has taken him "almost twenty years" to come to terms with the death of his beloved mother, Princess Diana.

“I am in a better place about it than I have been for a long time, where I can talk about her more openly, talk about her more honestly, and I can remember her better, and publicly talk about her better," he said. "It has taken me almost 20 years to get to that stage. I still find it difficult now because at the time it was so raw. And also it is not like most people's grief, because everyone else knows about it, everyone knows the story, everyone knows her."


A post shared by British GQ (@britishgq) on

He also reflects about fatherhood and how he would have wanted his mother to have been there for him, and his children."I would like to have had her advice. I would love her to have met Catherine and to have seen the children grow up. It makes me sad that she won't, that they will never know her."

It is a step towards healing for the Duke of Cambridge. Just last month he said, "People say shock can't last that long, but it does. You never get over it. It's such an unbelievably big moment in your life that it never leaves you – you just learn to deal with it."

Diana Princess of Wales, died on August 1997 after suffering from a fatal car cash in a tunnel in Paris. She was well known for being very close with her sons, Princes William and Harry.

When news reached the royal family of her death early morning, a decision was made that news of the their mother's passing should be kept away from the Princes for the time being. At that time, William who was 15 and Harry 12 were on holiday at Balmoral with their grandmother, the Queen, who made sure that all radio and television sets were hidden away.

It was their father, Prince Charles, who broke the news to the two boys. In a new documentary that aired in Channel 5 in the UK. It is revealed that Prince Harry had begged his father to go with him to Paris to collect his mother's body. William was so devastated with the news that he initially refused to walk behind his mother's coffin, saying that he preferred to grieve alone.

But he did walk together with Harry, his uncle Earl Spencer and Prince Charles in what would be one of the most watched event in history with over two billion people tuning in. One of the most poignant images from the funeral held on September of 1997 was a note from William and Harry with the handwritten word, "Mummy" placed on top of Diana's coffin as it was paraded on the streets of London.

This upcoming August 31 will mark the twentieth anniversary of her death.




Are you sure you want to delete this?