Amy Thompson was a normal 16-year-old in Scotland, that is until she went to a house party in Glasgow with some friends. Her and three friends took some MDMA pills expecting the drug to take their night to the next level, but it landed all of them in the hospital.
The hospital stay was brief for everyone except for Amy, who ended up staying for three months on life support, and two weeks in a coma, all before she regained consciousness and then moved on to a brain damage specialist.
In an attempt to raise awareness of the dangers of using these party drugs, Amy's family posted a video of her as she rehabs.
It starts out with a picture of her before the incident, a vibrant, blonde teenager. The video then switches to how Amy looks today, hair dyed, motor functions extremely limited, speaking in broken phrases while sitting in her wheelchair. The contrast in images is nothing less than shocking, most of her friends had not seen her since the incident.
Amy's cousin, Kayla, commented on the video: "Some people may have cried, laughed or been shocked seeing the video. But this is what a tiny pill can do to you. If this isn’t an eye-opener for everyone who continues to take stuff, I dunno what is!"
Her family hopes the video will help raise eyebrows to the very real dangers of taking such drugs, adding: "Amy won’t be like this for the rest of her life. She’s getting the best care and support. What you are seeing is amazing compared to the way she was a few weeks ago. She’s improved in many amazing ways. She still has many improvements to show us all."