broke that the popular boyband were to take a hiatus, many One Direction fans were left flabbergasted and shocked. But was it a surprise?
After Zayn left earlier this year, rumours abounded that One Direction may inevitably split up and attention was given to Harry, who many thought may be the next "Justin Timberlake" of the group, destined to have more successful career then the others.
However, the group has reassured fans that they are only taking a year off to focus on other projects, but will be back together.
But Simon Cowell, the X-Factor and music mogul who put the boyband together back in 2010, told The Mirror that he gave hints about the band's future split.
“I kind of hinted a few months ago they’d be having time off, " Cowell explained. "We haven’t had a conversation where anyone has said it is the end. The conversations have been 'we’re exhausted, can we have time off?'"
Also, speaking to the Sunday People, the 55-year-old admitted that it was the 'world's worst-kept secret,' but that the boys deserved a break:
"This has been going on for about a year now. It was the world’s worst-kept secret. It’s impossible for them to keep going at this pace after five years. We’ve said to them take as long as you want and, within reason, do whatever you want. They’ve so many great songs now they could come back at any point and do a great show.”