Senior Content Editor
@roxipowellWelcome back to another Thirsty Thursday! This week, we'll be looking at a current fan favorite: Doctor Who companions! Each companion has their own strengths and faults--it's what keeps the Doctor so enamored with Earth and all of its inhabitants. He even said so himself: "My friends have always been the best of me." Well, we couldn't agree more! Check out our favorite companions to the Madman In The Blue Box!
1. Rose Tyler (Billie Piper)Yes, I know she's a woman. Yes, I know not everyone likes her. But she was the first companion I met, and the first companion to see through the war-torn Doctor into his hearts of hearts. She saw the good in him and the great things he could do for everyone, and she helped him discover that for himself. She put herself on the line; leaving her job, mum, and boyfriend for him (let us never forget the exchange between them which compared keeping Micky to keeping a horse). When Rose had to say goodbye not once, but twice, I cried both times. Because she's good for him; because he loves her; and because she loves him.
2. Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman)If you even have to ask why Cpt Jack is on this list, you need to go back to Season 1 of the Doctor Who reboot. Not only is he funny, punny, and extremely good looking, he's saved both the Doctor and his companions on many occasions. After his final appearance in The End of Time, Part Two, the good captain went on to star in Torchwood, the BBC spin-off of our favorite space and time travel series.
3. River Song (Alex Kingston)Who in their right mind would leave the great River Song out of a Thirsty Thursday? She was kidnapped at birth, raised to be the Doctor's downfall, and then married him! She just couldn't let him die. Of course, this meant using up her own regenerations (child of the TARDIS...best not to ask), but it was done in the name of love. Now she uses her special training to save the universe instead of seeking to destroy its sole protector. Three cheers for the Doctor's wife!
4. Martha Jones (Freema Agymen)This woman. Martha Jones navigated space and time, got her heart stolen by the Doctor (figuratively speaking), stood up to more than one nasty space creature bent on destroying the world, and then chose to leave the TARDIS. Yes, that's right: chose to leave the TARDIS. But this didn't stop her from joining up with UNIT, and keeping the fight for Earth's survival on the ground.
5. Amy & Rory Pond-Williams (Karen Gillan & Arthur Darvill)We can't include the Doctor's wife without including her parents--er, his best friends--er, his in-laws. Wibbly wobbly, timey whimey. In any case, Amy and Rory have refused to take the Doctor at face value from the get-go. Well, Rory has, Amy has been rather...infatuated. But through all of her adventures with the Doctor, Amy and Rory are perfect for each other. They correct our Time Lord when he's wrong, they come up with a lot of the better plans of Season 6 (let's be really honest with ourselves), and they're love story continues on without the aid of the Doctor. Even at the end of their run, they knew they would rather be together than not. So what do you think? Did I get your top 5? Would you have chosen a different set of companions? Let us know in the comments! [yop_poll id="37"]