We’re three episodes into How to Get Away with Murder, and Annalise’s house is on fire. In addition to the dead body underneath the sheet, another body was pulled from the house -- but this one has a pulse.
But let’s go back to the body underneath the sheet. We’ve been told it’s a major character, but other than that, there aren’t really any clues. By now we should be used to endless twists and turns, but that’s not stopping us from driving ourselves crazy trying to figure out who is underneath the sheet.
Each week, the show flashes forward to the night of the fire, and we learn that one more character is safe. We know that Annalise is alive, so, if the mysterious dead body is actually a pivotal character, it has to be one of the Keating Five, Oliver, Bonnie, Frank or Nate.
Safe so far
- Oliver Hampton (Conrad Ricamora): 03x02 ["There Are Worse Things Than Murder"] showed Oliver safe, and he was immediately sent to wipe Annalise's phone. It would’ve been horrible to have Ricamora promoted to series regular only to kill him off.
- Bonnie Winterbottom (Liza Weil): 03x03 ["Always Bet Black"] revealed Bonnie alive and well and cleaning up Annalise’s mess. We wouldn’t have been surprised to find Bonnie trapped in Annalise’s house since she’s always there.
- Seriously, none.
It’s nearly impossible to speculate who died based on Viola Davis’ heart-wrenching cry upon seeing the body. The Emmy-winning actress cried to a dummy and had no clue who was underneath the sheet.
Well, there goes the theory that the dead body is someone Annalise was close with!
There's also the possibility that Annalise's reaction is due in her own part to the fire. Annalise handed off her phone to Oliver to be wiped. What if she orchestrated the fire at her house and the person who died (and the person saved from the basement) weren't supposed to be there?
Still at risk
- Nate Leahy (Billy Brown): We don’t doubt that Annalise loves Nate, but he has no ties to any of the other characters on the show. Not to mention, Annalise framed Nate for Sam’s murder in Season 1; since then, he seems to have forgiven her. Nate could be under the sheet, and Annalise could be devastated about his death, but we can’t base our suspicions on her reaction. Is the most expendable character the one that died?
- Wes Gibbins (Alfred Enoch): Wes and Annalise are certainly closer than your average student and teacher (No, not like that, but there are times when they have a little inappropriate chemistry.), but their relationship is paramount to the show. Killing off Wes would be the boldest move the show could make, and we don’t see it happening.
- Laurel Castillo (Karla Souza): We’re learning more about Laurel’s father, and she’s still pining after Frank, but every episode puts her further into Wes’ orbit, and even Meggy seems to be shipping Wes with Laurel. Laurel knows where Frank is hiding and is keeping his location secret from Annalise. Does she get caught between the crosshairs of Frank and Annalise?
- Connor Walsh (Jack Falahee): Connor took the lead on a case in 03x02 ["There Are Worse Things Than Murder"], but, other than his breakup with Oliver, we haven’t seen much of him. Oliver’s role in helping Annalise’s cover up Connor’s death would send him spiraling, but he doesn’t have enough secrets with Annalise to keep his mouth shut if that were to play out. This makes us think that Connor will be safe.
- Michaela Pratt (Aja Naomi King): What’s going on with Michaela? She’s been sleeping with Asher and isn’t interested in a relationship. She learned her ex got engaged and stole $20,000. Michaela ended up having to pawn her engagement ring to pay back the stolen money after losing it gambling. It seems like there’s a lot of story left to tell with Michaela this season, but we’ll have to wait and see if she makes more reckless choices that result in her being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- Asher Millstone (Matt McGorry): Last season, Asher was pushed to the brink and ran over ADA Sinclair, which resulted in an elaborate murder cover-up. Does Asher already having a major story arc mean his days are numbered?
- Frank Delfino (Charlie Weber): Last season we learned that Frank was responsible for causing the car accident that ultimately killed Annalise’s child. Annalise already put a hit out on him, and he might be responsible for killing Wes’ father. Did she orchestrate a fire to take care of Frank once and for all?
We have no clue who died, but isn’t it fun to speculate? Let's not forget that the first season involved the Keating Five covering up Sam’s murder by burning his body. It wasn't until later that we learned Annalise instructed Wes on how to cover up the murder. Maybe this season is another attempt at covering up a murder. But 03x03 [Always Bet Black]'s latest twist leaves us wondering who was in the basement in addition to wondering who is underneath the sheet.
Have any thoughts on who died? Any character you can't stand to lose? Let us know in the comments below.