Last week, Ariana Grande took to social media to not only share her grief over the Manchester attack, but to also announce that she would be returning to the city for a benefit concert. Few probably expected it to be so soon, but “One Love Manchester” is now scheduled for Sunday, June 4 and has already been filled with an A-list line up.
Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Pharrell Williams, Usher, Coldplay, and Niall Horan will all join Grande this weekend at the Old Trafford Cricket Ground.
Grande is offering free tickets to all fans who were at her Manchester Arena show, but tickets will go on sale to the general public Thursday. Proceeds will go to the We Love Manchester Emergency Relief Fund, which was set up, in conjunction with the British Red Cross, to support families and victims of the attack. Already the fund has earned over £6 million, and concert organizers expect to raise at least another £2 million from the June 4 event.
In an interview with BBC Radio Manchester, Chief Constable Ian Hopkins of Greater Manchester police explained that officers addressed the idea of a benefit concert with the families of the victims. “When the idea of the concert came up,” he said, “the first reaction was we need to speak to the families of victims and see what they feel.” Although the majority are in favor of the idea, some “clearly aren’t, and that is absolutely understandable.”
When initially announcing plans of a benefit concert, Grande told fans, “From the day we started putting this Dangerous Woman Tour together, I said that this show, more than anything else, was intended to be a safe space for my fans. A place for them to escape, to celebrate, to heal, to feel safe and to be themselves. To meet their friends they’ve made online. To express themselves. This will not change that.” She added, “Music is something that everyone on Earth can share. Music is meant to heal us, to bring us together, to make us happy. So that is what it will continue to do for us.”
Read Grande’s entire statement below.