They say that you should not quit your job until you have another in the pipeline. This notion is true for anyone looking for a career change, and President Obama is no exception. As we all know, the outgoing president is set to transition this week from his position as Commander-In-Chief to ... President of Playlists? Yes, it seems as though Obama already has a job lined up at Spotify, the popular streaming music service.
The whole thing started when Obama made a remark in jest during a conversation with former Swedish ambassador Mark Brzezinski while visiting the White House recently. It was reported that Obama joked, “I’m still waiting for my job at Spotify ... ‘Cause I know y’all loved my playlist!”
Tonight President Obama invited all of the Ambassadors he personally chose to an intimate reception at the White House. I finally got the chance to thank him for the life-changing appointment to Sweden. He said word for word: "I loved visiting you in Stockholm, it was my favorite trip. I plan to go back there really soon." I told him I have the perfect opportunity for him to come visit and he told me "to send him the details on Brilliant Minds." He also declared-- "I'm still waiting for my job at Spotify... Cuz' I know y'all loved my playlist." I am still swooning. ????? @barackobama @whitehouse ❤️. @symposiumsthlm So proud of Mark for serving this historic President with all his heart!! ????
Upon hearing of this exchange, Spotify CEO Daniel Ek tweeted a response, which, in essence, was an alert of a job vacancy with the company:
“Hey @BarackObama, I heard you were interested in a role at Spotify. Have you seen this one?”
Sure enough, the position is for “President of Playlists” and comes with a list of job requirements that are remarkably specific. Some of the key requirements for the ideal applicant include having, “at least eight years experience running a highly-regarded nation” and “friendly and warm attitudee, and a Nobel Peace Prize.” There was also a slam against Trump, with one of the requirements being to “attend daily briefings.” Burn.
For two consecutive summers, President Obama has been sharing his Spotify Summer Playlists: a list for daytime and one for night. It’s no secret that Obama is a fan of the streaming service.
Been waiting to drop this: summer playlist, the encore. What's everybody listening to? pic.twitter.com/mqh1YVrycj— President Obama (@POTUS) August 11, 2016
Read the full list of job requirements below:
What you’ll do:
- Provide world-class leadership to our playlist editors and supporting staff.
- Identify and substantiate new playlist ideas, e.g. from a playlist for shooting hoops with your friends, to the perfect warm up playlist for addressing the nation about health care legislation that bears your name.
- Analyze data and performance of playlists in a clear and transparent manner using all available intelligence. Attend daily briefings.
- Celebrate our diversity of playlists, from Viva Latino (3.4 million followers) to Rap Caviar (5.3 million followers).
Who you are:
- Have at least eight years experience running a highly-regarded nation.
- Familiar with the Spotify platform, with experience in programming playlists at a federal level. Anything from an eclectic summer playlist, to a celebratory, “I just found my birth certificate” playlist.
- Have good relationships with a wide range of artists and musicians. Ever had Kendrick Lamar play at your birthday bash? We’d love to hear about it!
- Can speak passionately about playlists at press events. Let us be clear, you should be nothing short of one of the greatest speakers of all time.
- A keen attention to detail and consistency. Able to work closely with other departments, so playlists can hold up to public scrutiny.
- Someone with good team spirit, excellent work ethic, a friendly and warm attitude, and a Nobel Peace Prize.
Regardless of one’s political affiliation, it’s undeniable that President Obama has been one of the most in-touch and down-to-earth Presidents in history. Though there have been trying times and terrible things that have happened, we’ve also celebrated the lighter side of life with the First Family. He hosted the very first South By South Lawn, a Presidential take on the long-running SXSW event that takes place in Austin, Texas. He’s been known to pop-up and “Slow Jam the News” with Jimmy Fallon.
President Obama was a fun president. Love him or hate him, he was fun. He set a good example by adapting to the changing technology and embracing the popular culture of our times. It would only be right that he would have a continued role in the world of music and art. It is unclear whether or not he has taken the offer, but, if next summer rolls around and a playlist comes about, we will have our answer.