Apparently, Aaron Sorkin is his own harshest critic. Sorkin informed The Hollywood Reporter that he trashed entire episodes after making a “false-start” during the sophomore season’s production.
He went to clarify: "With my hat in my hand, I went to HBO and said, ‘Would it be all right if I started again? I know it’s going to cost time and it’s going to cost a lot of money.’ Other networks would have said no."
As a result of these changes, the second season will now only be comprised of nine episodes, instead of the originally scheduled ten.
"I hope some of the people who were turned off by the show last year take a second look and maybe are a little bit happier," Sorkin stated. "But you’re playing a dangerous game if you write to try to change people’s minds."
Sorkin, who also created The West Wing understands that criticism is “impossible to avoid” in this business.
The Newsroom certainly got its fair share of critics.
"There are a great many people who weren’t just disappointed with The Newsroom but really maddened by it," Sorkin admitted.
The second season of The Newsroom will be back on our televisions on July 14 in the US on HBO and on Sky Atlantic in the UK in August.
Check out the trailer for the second season below!