There are things that no matter how much you try to explain, you sometimes have to turn to the person and say, “You had to be there.”
There were definitely some of those moments at this year’s PaleyFest Opening Night. By now, everyone’s talked about the ‘spoilers’ that came out from The Walking Dead’s panel. After reading, you might have realized that these ‘spoilers’ were really not that ‘spoilery’ and that’s because the cast and creators were very, very careful not to give anything away. They want people to be surprised and captivated by the story’s development, which is also the reason the TV show doesn’t follow the comics word for word.
At the March 1st panel, moderated by Talking Dead host Chris Hardwick, the cast talked about everything from Carl’s character growth to Rick’s return from his insane downward spiral (pun intended), and even Daryl’s lack of game with the ladies. While some of you Hulu Plus subscribers might have already had a chance to view the panel, others might have only read about it. Instead of repeating what everyone else has already said, I’m going to focus on the little things you might have missed, unless you were in the audience.
- Let’s start with the obvious: the cast is much more beautiful in person. I’m seriously surprised no one passed out at the sight of Norman Reedus. That man is something else.
- There is an undeniable sense of closeness and friendliness between them and as a viewer, it’s gratifying to see how tight-knit this group really is. Norman patted Danai Gurira on the knee as soon as he sat down, Laurie Holden leaned into Steven Yeun’s shoulder at one point during the panel, Steven bumped fists with Norman, and he also shared a hug with Scott Wilson.
- Steven was a little sick, evident from his raspy voice. He happily shared what appeared to be cough drops with Scott and Laurie. I loved how she subtly asked him what he was eating and asked for some, and the way he pulled one out of his pocket and handed it to her was also very cute.
- Andrew Lincoln and Norman are seriously the best. I’m so glad they were sitting together. The bromance is in full bloom! Their little looks and giggles were priceless. They couldn’t to stop laughing after Chris Hardwick mentioned Carol’s “Vagina Warfare” plan for Andrea, and it was a joy to watch.
- Norman kept making “Call Me” gestures to one very lucky lady in the front row of the theatre, after she yelled out that Daryl was hot.
- Emily Kinney also received a “Call Me” invitation from Norman after she described a dream she had about riding around with him in his motorcycle. Her dream consisted of them getting away from zombies while warning people in California that they really didn’t know how to kill them and they were just acting on TV.
- There was a stampede of people who rushed to the stage after the panel was over and I almost died (okay, I’m exaggerating but I did have a hard time breathing in there).
- Everyone in the cast was very nice, gracious, and sweet to the fans. They signed for quite a long time and tried their best to get everyone. But really, is anyone surprised by this? Didn’t think so.
- Norman took picture after picture with fans – he would hold the camera and take the picture himself. Who doesn’t want Norman germs on their stuff, right? While I didn’t get a picture this time, he did the same thing for me at The Walking Dead premiere back in October. He’s a sweetheart, plain and simple.
I went ahead and put together a brief video of the signing. Check it out below!