When something catchy happens, everyone feels the need to publicize it and then redo it their way. “Call Me Maybe” and “Gangnam Style” had their moments in 2012, but 2013 has brought us the “Harlem Shake”.
It seems like people can’t get enough of the 30 second clips which usually involve multiple people doing normal things while one person dances. Then, it turns into a mosh pit of wild costumes and awkward dancing.
I personally don’t understand the point, but apparently that is the point. The point of the Harlem Shake is to not understand the point of the Harlem Shake. Confusing? Yes. Entertaining? Of course. Here are my Top 10 Harlem Shake videos.
10. Lisa Schwartz and her Family- This version is Lisa and her family doing the Harlem Shake in her kitchen. This makes number 10 because it isn’t too flashy or big, but something about a grandma booty-popping makes it too hilarious to leave out of the countdown.
9.Shane Dawson and Company- Internet comedian Shane Dawson gathers his family and friends and makes a Harem Shake that may cause some people to get a little scared. His mom dry-humps a Harry Styles cutout, we see a scene from Gangnam Style, there is a Teletubbie and Barney. Oh, and Shane is a superhero.
8.Michael Buckley- Star of “What the Buck” made his own version starring…himself. He made an entire video with a green screen and put multiple Michaels on it in some weird things he dug out of his closet. Why a full grown man would own some of those clothes is a mystery.
7. iJustine- She also went solo. But she actually did it all by herself in her room and tried to be 4 people at once and then claimed that she had no friends. While I feel like this is one of the least flashy versions, the fact that she tries and looks hilarious doing it makes it worth the countdown.
6.UGA Swim Team- Hot guys in swimsuits dancing underwater. Need I say more?
5.KSLA News Team- The news is supposed to be serious talk about what’s going on in the world. But these anchors decided to try and be funny by doing the Harlem Shake. Personally, I wouldn’t be able to watch them on the news without cracking up and thinking about this.
4. Pet Collective- They edited together pictures and clips of puppies to make it seem like they are doing the Harlem Shake. Not the best job, but still cute and adorable. Who doesn’t like cute puppies?
3. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart- The people down at Jon Stewart made an inverse Harlem Shake. They start with everyone, then end with one man dancing alone. It earns the award for creativity.
2. Harlem Shake Air Force Edition- I love our troops. I have the utmost respect for every single man and woman fighting for our rights and freedoms every day. They stand on the highest pedestal as if they were gods. And then they do the Harem Shake and I’m reminded that they are just average Americans who are getting bored at work and decided to kill time with something funny. God bless our Troops.
1. Cimorelli- The talented girls of Cimorelli have danced their way to number one of my Top 10. The talented sisters, their brothers and a few friends made a Harlem Shake video with some crazy costumes, a morph suit and a guy attempting to act like Harry Potter and rides a broom.
So there you have it. Out of all the hundreds of Harlem Shake videos that exist, I found the 10 funniest, cutest and some that are kind of disturbing for you to check out. And who knows. Maybe you’ll be inspired (or driven to the brink of insanity) to make one with all of your friends.
What do you think of the list? Do you have one that is better!? Let us know!